... Thoughts on our adventures ...

... Thoughts on our adventures ...
... sharing our thoughts on our adventures ...

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Wit & Wisdom: A Toddler's Rites of Passage

First the good news...
I am saying a lot of new words these days. I'm pretty good at body parts and toys and people that I know. I also say "please" for things I want now, but it sounds a bit like "bees" most of the time. It seems that every day I surprise my parents by saying something new. Saturday, I was obsessed with saying "Turtle" over and over again while playing with my little turtle. It is a bit of a tongue twister, but I can say it quite well now. On Sunday, I said "Bible" which came out clear as a bell and Grammie almost fell over she was so surprised! On Monday it was "Bear" followed by "Tree" on Tuesday and "Car" on Wednesday. Today it was "Mine!" which filled Mommy with fear. The terrible two's are just around the corner now! ;)

Speaking of the terrigle two's ... here is the bad news.
I had my first big temper tantrum in the store yesterday. If you hear my mother tell the story, you may get the wrong idea about what happened, so let me set the record straight once and for all...

It started out innocently enough. I wanted a lunch box with Cinderella on it (and who wouldn't?). Then, as fate would have it, I saw one at just my level on the shelf. So, I picked it up and politely asked my mother, "Could I please have this lovely lunch box with Cinderella on it? I will save my allowence and get a part-time job to pay you back." Then, my mother said, "No you may not have this lovely lunchbox with Cinderella on it because I am a BIG MEANIE and I don't like lovely Cinderella lunchboxes!" This left me very upset indeed. I'm sure you understand, dear readers, that this was most unpleasent for me. Then to my horror, my mother removed the beautiful- dreamy-fabulous-most-illustrious-lunchbox from my hand and placed it back on the shelf. I proceeded to voice my displeasure in what I thought was a most sophisticated and appropriate manner ... by kicking and screaming and throwing myself on the floor. As to what happened next, perhaps it is best that we draw a curtain of charity upon the scene as it is sufficed to say that what followed was most unpleasent for everyone involved. I needn't add that I did NOT get my oh-so-highly-esteemed-lunchbox. But, what I did get was an epiphany! In life, we do not always get what we want ... no matter how much we want it or how many times we say "Bees!"
And that is final.




2 comments:

  1. Dear Ada Marie,
    Life lessons are so difficult. At least you are gifted with a eloquent writing style so that we can all empathize with your trials and tribulations. I also have never owned a Cinderalla lunchbox, but you will soon learn that life will go on.
    Aunt Allene

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a hard lesson, Ada! One that most adults haven't fully mastered... :) We love you - keep posting those blog entries!

    Auntie Joy

    ReplyDelete